Friday, April 15, 2011

Kacha Morich Fish Curry, Pohela Boishak 2011

I cooked this last night for the Bengali New Year, and it totally turned out better than I expected - and I'm not even a fish person :). To be tried with Ilish the next time I hope :)!


Serves 2 people:
One large whole fish
4 Onions
4 Tomatoes
1Tbsp Mustard seeds
Turmeric Powder
Chilli Powder
Some Fish Curry Spice Mix
Lemon
Corriander

Took me about an hour to cook this, minus prep time the night before.

Not having access to Ilish in Stockholm, I used one big Telapia - but choose you fish to be whatever you want it to be I suppose :).

Scale and gut the fish if doesn't already come dressed.

If you buy a frozen one like I did, thaw it overnight in the fridge.

Mix turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt, MDH Fish Curry mix. Add about the same or 1.5 times of the amount of spice of vegetable oil to make it into a paste.

Cover the entire fish with this paste. The layer of the spice should be quite thick and noticable.

Seal with fish in an airtight plastic bag and marinate for as long as you can. I marinated my frozen fish and left it in the freezer over night. In many ways its easier if the fish is frozen because the oil solidifies and holds on to the fish.

In a deep pan (I used a wok) heat about a cup (2 dl) of oil and fry the fish at low heat first to make sure it cooks through and the on high heat to make sure the outside is crunchy. It took me about half an hour to do this but I was super careful :). Try not to flip the fish too many times because it might break.

Once it has fried, place it on the serving dish.

In the same oil add about 4 large onions, sliced the round way. Fry until transparent.

Add 2 table spoons of the MDH Fish Curry Sprice.

Add about 4 tomatoes, diced in large cubes. Cook for about 6-10 minutes or until the tomatoes have started to soften. Add about a table spoon of mustard seeds and stir. Add split and deseeded (if you dont want it to be super spicey!) green chilles (I used about a cup of them but you can adjust this to our taste). Stir and let it mix in for about 2/3 minutes. Pour this sauce off on the fried fish just before serving.

Spray some lemon on the fish.

Garnish with lemon rounds and fresh corriander.

No comments:

Post a Comment